Monday, September 23, 2013

Homemade Meatballs

Before going clean, I used to make a meatball dish that was delish and super easy. I wanted to make it last week, but when I looked at the frozen meatballs, I was surprised once again at the amount of preservatives. So, I decided to make my own. Well, technically, I decided that my hubby would make his own ;) 

Unfortunately, my husband lost his job two weeks ago and so he's been very bored at home while he job searches. To keep him occupied (and out of my hair!), I've given him some cooking and baking tasks, since he loves to cook and bake as much as I do. (Sorry ladies, he's all mine and yes, I know how lucky I am to have a man who cooks ;)

Anywho...here's his recipe. They turned out so yummy, I didn't even use the sauce I usually pair with them. 

Homemade Meatballs
Adapted from The Kitchn

2 lbs. ground meat of your choice (Matt used ground beef)
2 tablespoons of either or a combination of: dried oregano, dried basil, dried thyme
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
2 cups bread crumbs
2 eggs
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix with your hands. Mix well but don't overmix or you will end up with dense meatballs. If the mixture does not stick together, add a little more tomato sauce a tablespoon at a time. Form the meat mixture into balls about 1 to 2 inches in diameter. Don't pack them too tight. Place the meatballs on a baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Serve the meatballs over pasta and sauce.

Additional Information:

You could try adding chopped vegetables such as onions, peppers, and eggplant for more flavor. You can also cook the meatballs in a skillet for 7 to 8 minutes if you don't want to use an oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment