The first picture shows all the ingredients...every one all-natural, except the crispy rice cereal, because I couldn't find all-natural crispy rice.
They didn't turn out quite like I expected...they did not stay together at all. Don't get me wrong, they tasted delicious but definitely did not stay in bar form. I had substituted agave for the honey, which probably didn't help. The honey would have helped them stick together better I assume.
So, I am going to try a few more recipes, but I may be sticking to store-bought.
To be continued.... :)
No Bake Chewy Granola Bars
- 4 tbsp. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 cups plain granola (I used 1 cup granola and 1 cup oats)
- 1 cup rice cereal (Rice Krispies, etc.)
- 1/4 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- Line two 9×5 loaf pans or one 11×7 inch baking pan (see tip #4 above if you want to use 9×13) with foil or parchment. Lightly butter or spray the foil. Set aside.
- Combine butter, honey and brown sugar in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the butter is melted.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat to medium-low and simmer until the sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Add the granola and rice cereal into the saucepan and fold them into the sauce until evenly coated.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared pans and press firmly with a spatula to evenly fill. Sprinkle the chocolate chips onto the top of the granola and gently press them down with the spatula.
- Let sit at room temperature for 15-20 minutes or until mostly cooled and set; lift out of the pan and cut into bars.