Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Local Harvest - Community Supported Agriculture

This week I came across an interesting concept called community-supported agriculture or CSA. The basic premise of a CSA is sharing "shares" of a local farmer's produce. A local farm sells a certain number of "shares", sometimes called a subscription or membership, to local community members. For the cost of the membership, you get a weekly supply of vegetables, fruits and other farm-grown food items like eggs, meat and grain. The CSA is a win-win for everyone...it supports local business, everything is fresh, grown locally and oftentimes, organic. 

The website Local Harvest (localharvest.org) allows you to search for nearby CSAs and provides contact information, price and what's included in a membership for each of the CSAs. I found several in my area that I am going to investigate further. I'm not sure if it will be worth it for us price-wise since we are growing our own garden this summer, but I wanted to share the information with you in case this might work for your family.

What do you think of the concept of a CSA?

No comments:

Post a Comment