Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Smothered Chops with Onions and Bacon

To me, a crock pot recipe should be easy, simple and not take a lot of prep time. I found this recipe for Smothered Pork Chops, but it had a lot of pre-crock pot prep time, so I adapted it to make it simpler. I don't have anything to compare it to, since I never made the original recipe, but I thought my version turned out pretty darn good! I paired the pork chops with steamed broccoli and cauliflower with all-natural cheese sauce.

Smothered Chops with Onions and Bacon
From Moms Who Think

4 ounces bacon (about 4 slices), chopped
3 onions, halved and sliced ½ inch thick
3 garlic cloves, minced
6 7-ounce bone-in blade-cut pork chops, about ¾ inch thick, sides slit to prevent curling
4 teaspoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
¼ cup soy sauce
2 bay leaves
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley (I used dried)

Directions:
Put pork, bacon and onions in crock pot. Mix together brown sugar, thyme, chicken broth, soy sauce, cider vinegar and parsley. Pour over meat and onions and add in the two bay leaves. Cover and cook until pork is tender, 6 to 8 hours on low or 3 to 5 hours on high. When done, discard bay leaves, remove meat and onions from crock pot and add in about 1/3 cup flour to liquid. Turn crockpot on high and stir the flour in to create a gravy-like sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment