Friday, December 20, 2013

Eating Clean 12 Days of Christmas -- Reese's Cup Cookies



For as much as I love sweets and sugar, you would think I would love all kinds of Christmas cookies. Oddly, though I don't like many of the traditional ones (cutout cookies, thumbprints, Russian tea cakes, etc.). So, when it comes time to bake for Christmas, I opt for the less traditional cookies that I'll actually eat. 
I'm also not much of a baker (I hate following recipes!) so usually I take as many shortcuts as possible (buying store bought cookie dough, using premade ingredients). This year, however, with my clean eating, I decided to make everything as clean as possible, even it meant taking a few extra steps. With my two helpers, it ended up being a great time and we had lots of fun! (Even though one of my helpers...ahem, G....ate half the Reese's Cups :P)

The first cookies we made are my all-time favorites...Reese's Cup Cookies. In the past, I would just buy store-bought peanut butter cookie dough and then add the Reese's Cups, but this year I made the peanut butter dough from scratch so it's all clean. Unfortunately, Reese's Cups aren't totally clean, but I'm invoking the 80/20 rule here because they're my favorite :)
These are so easy....make the peanut butter cookie dough. Roll into balls and put into well-greased mini muffin tins. Bake at 375 F for 8-10 minutes. As soon as you get the cookies out, press a Reese's Cup into each one and put the whole tin into the fridge, otherwise the Reese's will melt all over from the hot cookie and make a mess. Once they've hardened in the fridge, take out of the tins. Here's the recipe for the peanut butter cookies I used:

Peanut Butter Cookies 

From Creations by Kara

1 cup butter or margarine
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt


Cream butter, peanut butter, and sugars till creamy. Beat in eggs. Stir in dry ingredients.




No comments:

Post a Comment