Monday, June 3, 2013

6 Reasons You're Not Losing Weight

While eating clean had nothing to do with trying to lose weight for us, I was secretly hoping to lose those extra 10 pounds just hanging around my middle, souvenirs of two kids. Unfortunately, in the past six months, I may have only lost 2 to 3 pounds, but that could be my daily fluctuation in water weight. I ran across this article in Fitness magazine that offers some weight loss plateau tips I thought were pretty helpful.

You Don't Drink Enough Water
Dealing with multiple UTIs and bladder infections during both pregnancies, I drank more water than a camel. So, when the babies came, I slacked off on my water consumption. The article said that we should be drinking one-half of our body weight in ounces, so a 130 pound person should drink 65 ounces of water a day, plus more if you eat a lot of fiber and/or are active.
 
You Skimp on Protein
I'm pretty good here thanks to all the nuts and peanut butter I eat everyday!
 
You Sit at a Desk All Day
Studies have found that even high-intensity workouts cannot make up for sitting for long periods of time. When working at my computer, I try to get up and get another glass of water (killing two birds with one stone!) every 30-45 minutes. 

Your Numbers Are Off
Get your BMR (basal metabolic rate) to figure out how many calories you should be consuming each day based on your current weight, how much you want to lose and your activity and workout level. 
fitnessmagazine.com/weight-loss/bmr

You Work Out Regularly
As the article says, many times we overeat because we feel we've earned it since we've worked out regularly. Totally guilty of that!!! Running 5 miles does not equal eating a pan of brownies :P

You're a Stress Case
Okay, guilty again! I'm working on this one too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment