Monday, June 24, 2013

Chicken Bacon Avocado Salad

This dish is a perfect summer dish. Easy prep means less time in a hot kitchen and the combination of romaine, avocado, chicken and vinaigrette make it a light, yet filling main course. The dressing has a number of ingredients, but I had them all on-hand and didn't have to make a special trip to buy extra ingredients. 

Sunday's training called for: 120 minute bike
I did: 14.23 miles in 55:12 (Okay, confession time. I really do not like riding bike that much. It's a great workout, but I do not have the attention span or desire to spend 2 straight hours on a bike. I much prefer to run. I feel like I am so much more efficient, meaning I can get a great workout in a shorter amount of time. That's why I love Insanity...hard workout in short time but awesome results. Rant over)

Today's training called for: 60 minute run
I did: 6 miles in 56:40 (booyah! first 10k of the year!)



Chicken Bacon Avocado Salad
    Salad Ingredients:
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 8 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
  • 8 slices bacon, cooked and diced
  • 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled (I used feta)
  • 2 avocados, pitted and diced
  • 2 roma tomatoes, diced
  • 1/4 cup garlic vinaigrette (see recipe below)
  • 1/4 cup chopped green onions
  • Garlic Herb Vinaigrette Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
  • pinch of salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
  • 1 Tbsp. dried Italian seasonings (I used dried oregano)
  • 1 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil


To Make The Salad:
Season chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper. Grill until cooked through. Remove chicken and let rest for at least 10 minutes. Dice chicken into small pieces. Add the diced chicken, lettuce, bacon, blue cheese, avocados and tomatoes to a large bowl, and toss until combined. Drizzle or toss with garlic vinaigrette and serve immediately.
To Make The Vinaigrette:
Whisk all ingredients together until combined.

No comments:

Post a Comment