Monday, June 17, 2013

Breakfast Taquitos

I know this blog is primarily about food, but it takes both a good diet AND exercise to live a healthy and balanced life. As I've gotten older, I've realized that just because I work out that doesn't mean I can eat anything I want anymore. Even though my running headband says "Eat Hard, Run Hard" doesn't mean I can necessarily do that :P With that being said, I need a little motivation and accountability for a duathalon I have coming up 4th of July weekend. So, I'm going to talk about my exercise each day, in hopes that I will keep up my training schedule since I am going to have to post about it. 

Today, the schedule called for a 45 minute bike ride. I did a 10-mile ride in 41:26. Close enough ;)

I made another attempt at low-carb, low-sugar breakfast with breakfast taquitos. They were excellent! They took some prep time, but it was worth it. I doubled the recipe and froze them all. Makes for an easy and convenient breakfast...take out of the freezer, heat and enjoy!

Breakfast Taquitos
4 Tbs. Butter – Divided
1/3 Cup Yellow Bell Peppers - Chopped
1/4 Cup Onion - Chopped
1/3 Cup Red Bell Peppers - Chopped
8 oz. Hot Italian Breakfast Sausage
6 Large Eggs
¼ Cup Salsa
4 Large Low Carb Tortillas     
1 Cup Sharp White Cheddar Cheese - Shredded (I used mild cheddar because I had it on hand)


Preheat oven to 400°  Lightly oil or butter a baking sheet.

In a large sauté pan over medium heat, add 2 Tbs. butter, peppers, onion and salt and pepper, to taste.  Saute until tender.
In a separate pan, over medium heat, brown the sausage.  Once the sausage is cooked all the way through, drain excess grease, and combine with vegetables.
In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs and salsa, and fork whisk.
Add egg mixture to the meat/vegetable mixture and cook until the eggs are scrambled.
Lay the tortillas flat and put a layer of cheese down the center of each one. Next, layer 1/4 of the scramble mixture down the center of each one. Top each one with another layer of cheese.  
Roll tortillas tightly, packing the ends with any extra scramble mixture.  Place on baking sheet, fold side down.
Melt remaining 2 Tbs. of butter and brush on top of the rolled tortillas. 
Bake on the top rack 10-12 minutes.  Flip each roll over, give another light brushing of melted butter and cook for 10-12 minutes more or until nice and crispy on both sides.  Allow to cool and cut in half to serve or freeze in large ziploc bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment